Annons:
Tagbreeding
Read 3744 times
autumn&spring
2018-02-23 23:00

At what age do Mice get too old to have Babies?

One of my mice had babies today. I thought she was too old. I think there are 5-6 little ones probably born today. So sweet 😍 But at what age do they get too old ? She is 10 month now. It took over 2 months before these where born… And I gave up hope and let her stay with the male. She didn't look pregnant at all. She had little ones before and 13 of them .

Annons:
Leia
2018-02-24 16:16

I bet that was a surprise! What will you do with all of them?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Grodan
2018-02-24 22:52

Congratulations to the litter.

I think it depends on the strain the mouse comes (what their biological clock is set on) from and body type. Big English Show mice often has a shorter life span and shall not be older than 10 months of age. Most breeder of English Show mice say 3-5 months of age for first litter. (And if you wanna breed again you shall not wait too long. The female need 1 month of rest, but I don´t think you should wait longer than 1½ month for next litter if you wanna breed twice.) 

The smaller type of mice or wild/pet type can be 10-12 months of age when they have their first litter. If it´s their second litter they can even be a bit older. 

I have mixed type - they are half English Show and Pet - and I breed rather late, depending on if I want one or two litters from the female. My mice live long life so it´s and the females biological clock is longer than most, so I can breed on them when they are 10 months of age. 

I also read somewhere a long time ago, that mouse females release most eggs at ten months of age. I haven´t noticed that is untrue…

Host 4 mouse - Welcome!   <:3 }~~~

autumn&spring
2018-02-25 04:40

They look so small 😍 I hope that they survived. I had to clean the cage. They where not in the house but under an egg carton and they allmost ended up in the rubbish bin. 😢 Well the female and male both look happy. Non of them bit me.

autumn&spring
2018-02-25 12:41

Even though it was a surprise it was planned for her to have more babies. Because she is so beautiful. And I found a male looking exactly like her. I have another female who had her babies a week ago. With a male exactly as fantastic. I'm hoping to be able to breathe on 4 types of mice colours. Also very sweet mice with good temperament. I'm pleased to hear that its okay to breed on them when they are older than a year since it took a while to find the right males.

Grodan
2018-02-25 14:10

It makes me curious. What color/variety do they have?

Well, if the female is 1 year of age you always have to be well prepared. The mouse must be in very good condition and fed with nutritious and good food. Additional calcium supplements are preferred (as always with pregnant mice) if you suspect that there is not enough calcium in the usual food.

It also helps if the female mouse gets some additional opportunity to exercise, preferably before she mated and during pregnancy.

autumn&spring
2018-02-25 20:55

The colour on this mouse who had babies now and the male is black/white The other male is grey/white and the female is chocolate brown. The mice in the hammock I'm my picture is the two females 😍

Annons:
Grodan
2018-02-26 20:47

#6 Ok. Would be nice to see some pictures of your mice. Markings on mice can be so many. I guess yours is Even/Broken something-isch…

autumn&spring
2018-02-27 14:12

Ok Im going to photograph them tomorrow when I'm cleaning the cages. The male have to have his own cage now also . I took a quick look at the babies this morning. They are alive all 5 of them and big and have fur now. 3 look like their parents 😍 I have several empty aquariums that will be turned into cages for my mice.

Grodan
2018-02-28 12:27

#8 Ah. That is a nice age. Just before they open their eyes.

Looking forward to see your photos. Tip: start a new thread/post with your mice! Winking

Scroll to top
Annons: